Monday, February 27, 2012

Retrospect


The longer I live, 
the more opportunities I have 
to feel the feelings of those I might have judged 
in the past and truly begin to understand the source 
of those feelings and the responses that, at the time,
I could neither understand nor accept.

I even remember saying, 
"That is unacceptable,"
and believing it!

Thankfully, 
I have lived long enough 
to get to be on the other side, 
fearing that something very valuable to me

(a person, a relationship, an identity) 

was going to be taken from me or forever changed 
in ways I didn't think I could possibly accept.
Fear does that, you know.

I don't look forward to those eye-and-soul-opening times,

(and I know more will be coming)

but I can better see them now for what they are--
reminders that we are all connected
by one great big pool of human feelings,
and that all of us, 
throughout our lives, 
dip from that very same pool,
a fathomless pool, 
the very source of which is  
Love,
when we dip down deep enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment