Sunday, August 2, 2015

Remembering...


December 19, 2014

When I arrive at Rob's bedside today, I realize that something is different.  It's his breathing.  It sounds labored and raspy, a totally different rhythm than in previous days.  So when the Hospice aide whirls in with her bathing supplies, ready to start his bath, I stop her.  I suggest that instead of a bath today, we might need to call the nurse and assess Rob's breathing pattern.  She agrees to contact nursing, and thus begins the next chapter in Rob's passing.

Eventually, the Hospice nurse comes to do her assessment, and she tells me that Rob's changed breathing is indicative of one of the later stages of dying.  However, she predicts it will be the next week before he will progress to the final stages.  

For two weeks, I have come daily for brief visits with Rob and the staff.  He is always uncommunicative, turned toward the wall, resting.  But today, there is something that will not let me leave.  I do not want to leave.  Instead, I want to be right there all afternoon, the only communication between us being the music I play throughout the afternoon and into the evening.  One familiar CD after another, Softly and Tenderly, Draw Me Nearer, Night Songs, and Illumination, his favorite.  Time passes.  And we are together in a familiar place of unspoken love...music.
When the chaplain comes by, she asks me if there's anything I think Rob might be waiting to hear from me that would allow him to move on.  I cannot think of anything.  And then I see it, the little Love on the Road book I've placed on the table along with favorite photos of Rob and his loves.  

I tell her that the pages of that little book contain messages of love from me, in words and photos that I collected and included for him each time he returned home from his week away on the job.

So, I read her the following introductory passages from Love on the Road:

From precious child to amazing man,
You've carried your love inside a heart so tender
It is easily broken for others.
What a gift you are to the world!

You see with eyes of love and wonder,
Picking up shoreline reminders
That something else wonderful waits for us all.

You choose me, over and over again,
Even when the pickings are slim
And I'm not exactly who you thought you were choosing
In that first place.
And then, for some incredible reason,
We see eye-to-eye and remember why!

You know what to say to a little boy
Just learning to put his head underwater.
You know how to make another little boy
giggle with delight.
You know how to love big boys and girls
who are just now learning how.

You give me so much!
You let me swing far and wide to keep my spirit alive.
You let me cry when my heart is breaking.
You let me jabber on when I just need to get
The words out of my crazy head.
You let me
BE ME
In ways I can never fully express
But gladly would if I could!

~I love you~

When I finished reading, it was so obvious that those were exactly the words Rob needed to hear...again.  And I know he did hear them.

That evening, when I left to go meet friends for dinner and a concert, I kissed him as I had done so many times before, and said, "See you later, Babe."  Rob had always encouraged me to "go on and live life", and the Hospice physician had told me it would most likely be a few days before the final days.  So I left for the evening with a peaceful heart and memories of a lovely afternoon shared, knowing I'd be back, and we'd do the rest of the journey together.

As it turns out, we had already done the rest of the journey together, by simply and sweetly staying in those moments, on that day, in that room, doing exactly what came next.
And it was perfect.




No comments:

Post a Comment