Thursday, May 7, 2015

Perhaps...
We cannot fully grieve 
until we can remember more fully
what we have lost.
I've cried buckets this morning,
listening to a James Taylor CD and remembering
singing along over so many miles travelled on so
many trips Rob and I took to so many
wonderful places.

The more I listen, the more I realize how very
absent Rob had been in so many ways 
and for so long.

The changes were so subtle, and yet, by the time
he left, he was so much less than who he
wanted to be, physically and mentally, 
and it seems, in retrospect, that there was nothing 
either of us could do to change that.

I realize how little we were travelling;
how little we were listening to these songs;
how little we were engaging in real conversation;
how little we were connecting the ways we had in the past.

My tears today are coming so freely
because I miss Rob,
because I couldn't see then what I am able to see now,
because we were doing the best we could 
to make the best of where we were,
together and apart.

I'm crying for the Rob who started his leaving
way before he actually left.
I do miss him.

Even though it doesn't change a thing,
it feels like a step in the
"right" direction.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

― Julian of Norwich


1 comment:

  1. When sorrows like sea billows roll...it is well with my soul.

    ReplyDelete