Sunday, September 1, 2013

Post-Smack-Down

No photo here, but if there were, it would be 
of Emmy and Sawyer loving it up, as usual, last night at supper with the kids.  

When I arrived, he greeted me with the usual, "Hi, Emmy", came running up 
with orangy-Cheeto hands to be picked up and loved on...which I did, 
of course, and then sat in my lap and snuggled as we watched "Despicable Me" 
with Caleb and "Henry Hugglemonster" while Caleb got his shower.

He was still his feisty little self, pushing at the boundaries 
and making us laugh and adore him, all within the same two minutes.  

How nice...nothing had really changed.
We were just being Emmy and Sawyer, "After the "Smack-Down".

I texted PapaRob later that evening:

"Sweet time with the kids...as if nothing had happened.
I am better.
I love you."

Rob had spent a long time Saturday afternoon listening to me tell the story 
and cry like a baby, and had done what he is so gifted at doing,
(has done it now for nearly 50 years with me!)
just listened and said the words that made me know he knew me,
he knew my heart, and that I was heard...all of me.

And then today from him, this text message:

"Oh, good!!! Just remember, Emmy, 
nobody has nor will ever treat our boys as well as you do. 
I love you."

How's that for love?

AND there's more!

Today was "Children's Day" at church, 
and there was a time for the big people to acknowledge 
the little people in their lives with words at the microphone.
There were sweet, funny, heart-warming words spoken and stories told,
and I waited until it looked like no one else was going to speak
to get up and say something like this.

"You know, I hesitated getting up to say anything, 
because what I have to tell is not necessarily a sweet, happy story, 
but it is an important one, I think."

Without giving details or casting blame or shame in any direction,
I simply confessed that because of an encounter with a child I love dearly,
I learned something about myself and even, perhaps, 
why people do what they do...
and that forgiveness and reconciliation had been the
ultimate lessons of the day.

After church, several folks came up to say they understood completely,
had found themselves in similar situations, 
and appreciated my willingness to share my experience. 

One very dear friend reminded me that at the age of three,
children are learning how to get their needs met and succeed 
in their little worlds primarily by way of manipulation. 
Manipulation, indeed!
It's a vital survival trait that we all develop, 
one that has sustained our species for centuries now.

And at age sixty-five, grandmothers are learning 
how to love by setting limits.

Sounds like the perfect storm for a "Smack-Down"!

Happy Children's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment