Saturday, August 31, 2013

Saturday Stuff

"Can we freeze fruit, Emmy?"
(It sounded better than it tasted; Emmy will eat it later.)
 Back-to-School-Saturday-Morning-Cartoon-Watching
 Allison came back over after lunch and she and I finished 
some of our long-overdue "stainglass" art...like it?

This blog turns into a book at the end of the year, 
so I want to add a little post-note to today's entry.  
There is no picture of Sawyer posted today. 
He was here and was, for the most part, 
a delightful participant in the morning's activities.
However, without details but for the record, I must tell you 
we had an encounter that made us both cry, 
Sawyer in the moment, Emmy much later (a whole bunch).
I like to believe that my relationship with this little guy is secure and healthy; 
after all, we've spent the better part of almost four years together.
Today Sawyer learned again where Emmy's line is drawn,
and Emmy learned she had a line and would defend it, 
perhaps, without even thinking first.
Both of us were surprised, scared, and quite apologetic when it was all over.
We even "shook" on it while we were out digging in the dirt later.
I know we'll get over it, 
but recording it here will remind me that we did.

I have held resentment for a long, long time about something 
Daddy did to me in a moment decades ago, 
perhaps not unlike the moment Sawyer and I had this morning.
I said I would never do that to a child
and had a hard time figuring out how to forgive him. 
And now I've done the thing I couldn't forgive.
And I feel awful!
And I'm understanding, in a new way, the need for forgiveness
for Daddy, for Sawyer, for me...for all of us.

After all, Sawyer and I did "shake" on it.
I'm counting on that for forgiveness.


1 comment:

  1. And all the better for it. I think every Grandparent has been there. So thankful forgiveness came in segments of past and present. We will surely need it again in the future!

    ReplyDelete