Sunday, September 8, 2013

Driver's Ed

Driving on the wrong/left/other side of the road
I glanced through the online driving manual for Ireland. Possibly due to my tired condition, I panicked thinking about driving on the other side of the road. I realized that after over 30 years that most of my driving is instinctual. The stories of Americans driving the on the wrong side of road in Ireland make me nervous. Not to mention that my dear wife is already a nervous passenger. Are my anxieties unfounded? I will be driving a manual, which is what my primary car is.
Also, do you folks in the UK and Ireland who visit the continent or US have the same concerns adjusting?
We rent cars on mainland Europe fairly regularly and it doesn't faze us (although sometimes traffic signs in languages we don't entirely understand can be a bit challenging but you won't be facing that problem outside some Gaeltacht (Irish speaking) areas). It's amazing how quickly you adjust - we find the trick is actually remembering to switch back when we get home. We've jumped into our cars once home on more than one occasion and headed out on the wrong side of the road! There's lots of advice and recommendations about driving in Ireland on the Ireland Forum. much of it from North Americans, if you do a search.
We live near Dublin AIrport and one thing we do notice regularly on the surrounding roads and motorways are visitors who have obviously just picked up their rental cards driving along slowly in the outside lane (the so-called 'fast lane') as they haven't realised that these lanes are also the reverse of home, much to the frustration of local drivers. On motorways and dual carriageways here we overtake in the outside lane and the inside lane is for slower traffic.
When I go back to visit in the states, I do have to remind myself the first day to stay to the right. I tend to forget the most when I am in a parking lot and find myself driving on the left. That said, the other day, a guy almost hit my car head on as he was entering the car park on the left hand side.
I used to live in a city with over 5m people and what seemed like that many cars. I do not miss the large 4 lane motorways there in the least!! 2 is much easier to negotiate.
If you drive a manual car in the states, you will be fine here. Relax and enjoy your trip over.
I just returned from Ireland this week. We picked up a car in Shannon and drove all around the west/south coast and returned the car to Dublinairport. I too was very nervous about driving on the left. My friend, who had driven in Ireland before, assured me that you get used to it very quickly and you just have to keep telling yourself "left, left, left" for the first while. So I took a turn on our second day there and drove the Dingle Peninsula! I knew after that drive that I could take on anything! Seriously, don't let it stop you from renting a car and seeing some of the most spectacular scenery you'll ever find. Yes, some of the secondary roads are narrow and you will have to slow right down when another vehicle approaches, but I never once felt at risk in those situations, just take it slowly and fold in your mirror if you have to. I only drove as fast as I was comfortable with, and when it looked like I was getting a line-up behind me, I just pulled over and let them pass.
Also, I can drive a manual but we chose to get an automatic so that we'd have one less thing to adjust to (shifting with left hand). I think it was a good call. The hardest thing to get used to was reaching over my right shoulder, not the left, for the seat belt!
Hello. Just like the US, as a driver, keep the center of the road next to the driver. If you find yourself as a driver driving next to a ditch or stone wall, you're on the wrong side. Following the traffic in front of you will help you get used to it. It really isn't that hard. Hope this helps, and enjoy.
And actually driving on the other side is part of the enjoyment of going to another place. I found, as tapl has already said, that my only real problem is when I return home, wanting to switch sides.
You'll adjust quickly and driving a stick on the other side is not a problem at all. Now if the pedals were different, that'd be a whole other ball of wax.
The only two situations where I found it important to concentrate a bit more were on right hand turns and on roundabouts. Just remember when turning right to head to the left lane...you'll naturally want to head to the right lane. On roundabouts remember that you'll go to the left (clockwise) BUT you need to look to the right to check traffic.
Just relax and make it part of your vacation! Keith
rfischel, don't know how old you are, but i am older than dirt, and i drive all over ireland....thus far no one has ran me off the road, had one smart a** kid sit on his horn and flip me off in skibbereen because i didn't get my car parked correctly and had to take a second go at....i just shook my head and thought, ah the manners of the young are sometimes just like in the states...hehehe....


seriously, you will do fine and when you don't, herself, will set you straight in a hurry.....lol....
the only difference in a stick, is that the stick in on the left, the pedals are in the same place.....go for it....
It's a great experience. The first hour was gripping, however. I imagined driving in the country being much easier and driving in the towns much more difficult. It was actually opposite. I don't know where you will be driving but what I had to learn was that unless you are on a major motorway (which is easy driving) the speed limit on the highways does not mean much. I could very seldom reach the speed limit for one reason or another (traffic, turns, hills, etc.) Don't feel compelled to drive the speed limit. Someone on here posted some helpful links on roundabout etiquette as Americans are often stupid about them (it's actually quite simple). I visualized myself sitting on right and driving on the left prior to my trip. I also paid the exorbitant amount extra to drive an automatic. I certainly recommend that as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment