Saturday, September 21, 2013

The Nonadapt

When I took Sawyer home this afternoon, Zack greeted me with,
"Emmy! How long have you been wearing those glasses?
I remember them when I was a kid...in the 80's!"

He's right!
I remember buying these prescription sunglasses when he was
probably ten or eleven; I wore them on one of our family ski trips 
to Ruidoso, 26 years ago!!

Here's the story:
I went for an eye exam a few weeks ago.
(It had been at least 6 years since I'd had one.)
The doctor/intern (I just know she was!) told me that 
my prescription had changed considerably and that it was time 
for progressive lenses
(BIFOCALS!)
I said sure, whatever...
until I picked them up last Thursday 
and tried them out for all of 24 hours.
I could hardly see at any distance, and I felt like 
a menace to society out on the roads as I squinted and blinked 
and bobbed my head in every possible direction, just trying to see 
something...anything clearly!!

Long story short:
I turned them in on Friday, after Laura chastened me 
numerous times that my instructions had been to wear them 
for two weeks and that if at that time they weren't working for me, 
"we'd" try something else.
I was not a happy camper, and I think Laura finally realized 
that when I continued repeatedly to assert that I was not a wimp, 
I had done hard things before,
and that I was very much a perserverer! 
(Is that even a word?)

Finally, she softened her tone and gently offered that 
it wasn't my fault; I was one of the "Nonadapts" 
who just can't do the progressives.
She agreed to order my distance glasses for me, 
even gave me my prescription for some drugstore readers (2.5)
and told me my new glasses would be in by Monday.

SO, these 1980's glasses have been my friend in the meantime,
even if they do make me look owlish.

I've always thought I was quite adaptive...
even overly so in my earlier years, in less than healthy ways.

How nice to realize I've finally reached 
the golden age of non-adapting!!

Woo-Hoo!



No comments:

Post a Comment