Thursday, February 11, 2016

Ash Wednesday

I experienced my first ashes at St. Mark's Episcopal Church
in the late 1980's.
It was also my introduction to the Lenten Season.
I grew up hearing about folks "giving up" something for Lent.
Usually it was chocolate.
(For me it would have been popcorn.)
So naturally, I got the impression that this was all about giving up something
you craved so you could learn to live without it,
at least for six weeks.
I'm thinking that it probably just made the person crave it all the more
and have a major chocolate binge when Easter finally arrived.
All those chocolate eggs and bunnies, for goodness sake!
But, I should not presume...I should not judge.
It was, and is, what it is for each individual to identify an attachment
and practice just saying no, if only temporarily.

As I learned more about the season and practice of Lent,
it became a lot more complicated than chocolate.
It became a matter of choosing to give up a thought process, a belief,
a reaction, an action--anything that might be getting in the way
of my ability to love other people.
Well, that's getting way too personal, isn't it?
I mean it's fun to talk about what you've given up when it's
a food you crave, addictive TV shows, or a favorite pastime.
It actually makes for pretty good chit-chat as you talk
about your common go-to's and the ways you've found
to get around the new restriction.

What gets between you and me is usually not as easily confessed.
In fact, I don't even like to have to look at it
because it has served me so well.

This year I am giving up my attachment to
being right.
Ouch!
When I'm honest with myself, I realize how that attachment
does get in the way of me fully experiencing my world.
In fact, it's a great "stopper".

So, here I go.
I'm not sure how this will look.
I am sure that before the Easter sun rises
(and it always does)
I will wish
(at least 3 times)
that I had chosen popcorn!





No comments:

Post a Comment