Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Ex Red Raider, Pittsburgh Steeler, Baron Batch

Featured artist at festival 

True stories, memories fuel art painted by Batch


A-J ENTERTAINMENT EDITOR

The walls in Baron Batch’s apartment in Pittsburgh were completely white.
He knew he would be staring at them a lot while rehabbing an injured knee, and said, “I wasn’t in the mood to go out and buy reproduced art.”
Instead, the injured Pittsburgh Steelers running back, a former Red Raider and 2010 Texas Tech graduate, decided one year ago to see how well he could paint.
Having viewed Batch’s art, Elizabeth Regner, executive director of the Lubbock Arts Alliance, decided this week that Batch would be the featured artist at the 35th-annual Lubbock Arts Festival.
The event takes place April 12-14 at the Lubbock Memorial Civic Center.
“I’ve always been somewhat artistic,” Batch said Tuesday. “I’d never painted because we could not afford that when I was growing up in Midland. But I always could draw pretty well.
“So I just thought, ‘How hard can it (painting) be?'
“It started out as a hobby, but I’m a lot better than I was when I started.”
Not trusting his celebrity status, Batch doubted the quality of his creativity. He was never shy about letting people see his art, but questioned whether he was being complimented “just because I was a pro football player,” he said.
Eventually, however, his art happened to be seen, and appreciated, by individuals who had no idea how Batch made his living.
“That was super exciting,” he said. “I thought to myself, ‘OK. I guess it is good after all.’ ”
He prefers working with acrylic paint, and began painting on canvas only because, “I thought that’s what artists were supposed to do,” said Batch.
With more experimentation, he developed a preference for painting on wood panels.
Keeping a selection of brushes nearby, he also experiments with using his fingers or hand to apply the paint and make images stand out.
“I guess you could call it finger-painting,” said Batch, 25.
“I experimented with a lot of different ways to make art. I suppose maybe half has been completely finger-painted. ... It started out just like when I was a kid, because it’s fun to get your hands dirty.
“But then the first few turned out a lot better than I ever expected, and the rest kept improving.”
“Obviously, Baron is beloved because of his connection with Texas Tech,” said Regner. “More than that, his art really tells the story of his life. His hardships, faith and hope are reflected in each painting. Once you know Baron’s story, and see his art, you understand what a truly amazing young man he is.”
His work was exhibited at one charity show in Pittsburgh. Batch said that he was nervous that day.
For no good reason, it turned out. The show was a success.
In the months that followed, Batch became “more serious about my art."
“When I started painting, it was like therapy. It was something to take my mind off other stuff. Slowly, I realized how much I love doing this, because it offers so many possibilities to share my story.
“It was similar to me starting to write a column in the Avalanche-Journal (during his senior season at Tech in 2010). That’s also a big part of who I am today, but at the time I didn’t know I could do something like that.”
He paused.
“I just want to do all the things I am blessed with the ability to do,” he said.
Regner sees Batch as “an old soul in a young body.”
She is moved by what each of his paintings say.
“I don’t just paint stuff,” Batch said. “For example, I don’t want to just paint pretty flowers. There’s thought and meaning in all of my paintings. There’s a story being told behind the paint. I think maybe that’s why I can appreciate it.
“A lot of what I paint represents different time periods of my life. ... Some are simple; some have more depth.”
One night found Batch trying to save a dream. He first filled eight pages with written notes. Then he began to paint.
He looked at the finished painting and said, “That pretty much sums it up.”
Those who know Batch well are not surprised, he said. “I’ve always been the kind of person to jump in and try different things.”
Regner said, “I truly believe Baron is an artist who just happens to make his living as a professional football player. Not just visual art, but with the written word, as well. With everything he does, Baron tells a story that is thoughtful and heartfelt.”
Budding success, however, only inspires Batch to take a detour and try something new.
He recently experimented with spray paint.
“If I get an idea, I’ve got to try it,” said Batch.


No comments:

Post a Comment