Thursday, August 25, 2016

I was there...

This beautiful photograph appeared on my screen saver
when I opened my computer this morning.
I immediately thought--
I would love to visit that place.
And then, I realized I had!
When I checked the source, sure enough,
I was there, a year ago,
walking West Bow Street in Edinburgh, Scotland.

West Bow, a street in Edinburgh, Scotland, oddly enough, marks the east side of the historic shopping district known as Grassmarket in Edinburgh’s Old Town. The Grassmarket square still functions as a public marketplace, just as it has for centuries. Shops line the sidewalks and mobile vendors offer their wares in the greenspace between the streets. Narrow alleys called “closes” offer easy passage in and out of Grassmarket. But beware. Edinburgh’s closes are part of both its charm and its haunted reputation.

No comments:

Post a Comment