Friday, August 26, 2016

Fresh Eyes~ R. Rohr

Cynthia Bourgeault shares how Jesus brings third force [fresh eyes] to the situation of the woman caught in adultery. When presented with the polarities of stoning the woman or freeing her, Jesus says, “Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her” (John 8:7). Bourgeault writes: “He finds the thing that will put the terrible two binaries in a completely new relationship and creates a new kingdom . . . called compassion, forgiveness.” She goes on to say:
The manifestation of love is there in the situation, but you need to find it. . . . Third force is there because the Trinity is real, and if you are alert to it, you will be able to find it. . . . The problem is that most of the world is third force blind. . . . The capacity to midwife third force or hold the reconciling is for me the most powerful fruit of a contemplative spiritual practice. Without a contemplative practice, midwifing third force [seeing with fresh eyes] is virtually impossible. . . .
But with a spiritual practice you will be better and better equipped
to get into the dance which will allow you to see how
to deliver third force in any given situation. [2] 
Rohr's meditation today is heavy, heady stuff...and yet--I think it is at the heart of Christianity. It is what Jesus, the forgiving victim, modeled--a third way, beyond the realm of simple black/white, right/wrong, good/bad, true/false, beautiful/ugly, either/or thinking.  It appears that this third way of seeing and responding to the world takes practice--the spiritual practice of prayer and meditation, the quieting of my either/or mind so that my eyes, ears, mouth, and heart can be illumined.
Remember this song?

Open my eyes, that I may see Glimpses of truth Thou hast for me;
Place in my hands the wonderful key
That shall unclasp and set me free.


Silently now I wait for Thee,
Ready my God, Thy will to see,
Open my eyes, illumine me,
Spirit divine!

Open my ears, that I may hear
Voices of truth Thou sendest clear;
And while the wave notes fall on my ear,
Everything false will disappear.


Open my mouth, and let me bear,
Gladly the warm truth everywhere;
Open my heart and let me prepare
Love with Thy children thus to share.









 








No comments:

Post a Comment