Thursday, December 9, 2010

Urgent Message!!


This familiar message appeared on my printer this afternoon:
                                                                               
                                                       Out of Paper
                                     Refill with paper, and then press OK.

But for the first time I actually noticed that 
desperate little yellow exclamation point 
flashing off and on and off and on 
as if filling my printer with paper were a matter of life and death.  

Of course, I didn't dash for more paper, 
like that crazy point of punctuation would have liked 
because I knew where the paper was, how to replace it, 
and that I would do it later.  

After all, that printer is just a machine, 
programmed to scream that alert any time the paper runs out; 
it's just doing what it's designed to do.   

Dear God, help me remember that the flashing lights 
of "what if" or "oh no" in my head are usually just old programming.  
As I stay present and aware, 
I'll know where my resources are and how to use them.     

No comments:

Post a Comment