Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Sundown on Hwy 84


Usually the sight of red and blue flashing lights 
on a highway patrolman's squad car coming up behind me 
is less than reassuring. 

In fact, the sight is usually accompanied by a sinking feeling 
in the pit of my stomach and an awareness that 
I've not been paying attention to "the rules". 

But last night, sitting in my truck on the side of the road 
with a blown out rear tire, 
talking on my cell to a tow service in a nearby town, 
those lights were more than welcome. 

When a young patrolman came to my window 
and offered to change the tire for me, I was overwhelmed with SFH 
and gratitude for something I certainly had not orchestrated. 

Sure, I was taking care of the situation in the best way I knew how, 
but to be surprised by goodness on Hwy 84, two hours from home...
well, it made my day. 

God, thank you for Tommy Hill 
and for all those other angels I've missed 
when I thought I could do it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment