Wednesday, July 27, 2011

"I feel wrong..."

On our ride to the Jumpin' Jungle yesterday, 
we realized that Caleb was not wearing socks, something
the JJ requires of all the kids who want to jump and play there. 
Hoping to preempt a melt-down, I quickly suggested that they would
surely have socks there for the kids who weren't wearing them. 

After a long silence, Caleb said, "Emmy, I feel wrong."
When I asked him what he meant, he said he was worried that there
would not be socks there and that he wouldn't get to play.

The good news is that there were socks for sale!

But I was struck by Caleb's choice of words.
I think I know exactly the feeling he was describing.
It's that shift in our very being when we start fearing that
things aren't going to be the way we think we need them to be
in order to get our needs met.

And at that very moment, we do feel wrong.
Knowing that it's just a feeling and not necessarily a fact makes all the difference
in how much we allow that wrong feeling to determine our outlook.
Thanks, Caleb, for reminding me of that!  


Happy boy in new socks!

No comments:

Post a Comment