Monday, June 13, 2016

Where two or three are gathered...

I have felt sad and heavy all day.
I've watched some of the accounts on television,
but then I have to flip over to Soundscapes to get some balance.
It's just too much...
Even the upbeat signage covering the back side of the car in front of me this afternoon seemed totally irrelevant and in-my-face.
"THINK HAPPY/BE HAPPY"
I wanted to yell,
"Haven't you been watching the news?!"
When I saw that Exodus Metropolitan Church was having
a memorial service tonight, I knew I had to be there...
to feel, to grieve, to process, and to connect with other broken hearts.
It was a beautiful service.
A woman named Kay read this poem:
Kevin Young, Senior Minister at St. John's United Methodist,
spoke through tears about the grief he was feeling,
and we listened as he spoke for us and we cried with him.
He called himself an ally.
I liked that.
After the service I introduced myself to others as an ally.
I always have been.

I met Franziska Garner, a gifted young German woman
who had moved to Lubbock in 2015.
 During the service, she read a reflection she had penned
in response to yesterday's tragic events...
"Orlando - A hopeful lament".





No comments:

Post a Comment